This project is read-only.

Bluetooth GPS, international addresses, and Navizon (was: How about including Navizon?)

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:13 AM

First of all thank for this application!

I was looking for a simple, light, effective, mobile updater for wm6 for a long time!

I have a couple of suggestions that might be of your interest, or not :-)

1. Are bluetooth GPS supported?
  2. Are non-US addresses supported? I had no success in entering "streetname streetno, city, Italy" in the update field (while the same string works directly in Fireeagle)
  3. Have you considered including Navizon API in your application? It allows for triangulation of cells, giving great results! And (second step) it also allows for triangulation with wifi aps, but this is not free..

Thanks!
 Saverio

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM
  1. I don't know if "bluetooth GPS" will work or not, actually.  I think it will, so long as your device is accessible (by the code) using the GPS Intermediate Driver.
  2. Non-US addresses aren't supported now, and I don't know when they will be.  I have created the following issue for future development: Support manual input of addresses outside the United States.
  3. I wasn't aware of the Navizon SDK.  I see, too, that they have a web service.  I've contacted them regarding pricing.  If it's free, and it's a good fit for the code already in place, I'd be happy to attempt integrating it with Hineini.  Thank you for the reference.
Jun 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Thanks a lot for replying!

1. My bluetooth GPS is not recognized, but I'll try working on it and see if I was doing something wrong...

2. Great! I thought you were using the fireeagle functionality and directly sending the whole address to FE, in that case any address would work.

3. That would be great! There a lot of Navizon users (I'm one of them) and many have purchased the full version, so they would actually be able to use WIFI localization, which is amazing to my opinion.

I really like this project. I was exactly looking for some application like this to be used together with my FE application, SHHPOT!. What I need is an updater, running in the background or capable to be triggered with a single click, precise enough to tell FE that the user is in a certain building, square, or street. When Hineini will be able to do that, I will be more than happy to suggest it on my website as a "preferred updater" :-)

At the moment I'm using the full Navizon application, but it is too heavy to be considered an updater only...

Have a good day,

Saverio

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Regarding your bluetooth GPS:

The code uses the GPS Intermediate Driver to search for a GPS device.  Consider reading the xda-developers thread describing how to use an external bluetooth device w/ the GPS Intermediate Driver.

Modify your handset at your own risk, of course.  I've not attempted what they're talking about in that article, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

If you try it, please do post the results here, good or bad.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Regarding non-US addresses: version 0.6 adds support for international addresses.  If Yahoo recognizes it, it's valid input.

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I did try the procedure suggested in the xda-developers forum, and it works.

That is, when I start Hineini the smartphone connects to the bluetooth GPS (the BT led stop blinking, that's how I know).

Unfortunately, when I tell Hineini to locate only by GPS, my position get set in a wrong place! Some hundreds of kilometers away, in Quistello MN (Italy) instead of Padova, Italy.

The error log says TLU: UpdateLocationDataByEnvironmentInput

I'm sure it will help you knowing that I get the same position if I tell Hineini to locate me by cell towers, using Google database. It looks like it's using Google cell location as a backup, even if I told him to rely on GPS only.

Regarding non-US addresses: they work perfectly, thanks!

Saverio

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I still sometimes see a bug which works as follows: when all update fails, Hineini looks as though it's just told Fire Eagle about the location where Fire Eagle knew you to be located before Hineini tried to talk to Fire Eagle.

So, is it possible Fire Eagle (for whatever reason) already thought you were at "Quistello MN (Italy)" before you opened Hineini?  It's an unlikely chance, but I ask... in case, perhaps, you were there recently.

My GPS (built into my handset) starts giving VERY wrong coordinates when it's been active for 4-6 hours straight.  A reboot of the handset (and, so, the built-in GPS hardware) solves it.

In my next build, I will create more error logging around the "TLU: UpdateLocationDataByEnvironmentInput" error, and hopefully we can get more information.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I saw that address for the first time in Hineini, never been there.

Even though, for some reason (probably a wrong entry in google cell towers database), Hineini thought that my location was there when I tried to locate me using cell towers and Google database.

But after that time I updated my fireeagle location a lot of times. If I now tell Hineini to locate me by cell towers with Google database, he return the wrong place. The same if I use GPS only or if I use GPS + cells backup.

If I turn off my external GPS and use cell towers, then I get the correct position.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Hineini has changed significantly since we last addressed this issue (1 month ago), but those changes haven't been focused on the external GPS compatibility specifically.

Could you please test the use of your external GPS again and report the results?

Many thanks.